Seniors are incredibly susceptible to falls at home due to limited mobility issues caused by arthritis, osteoporosis, neurological conditions, muscle weakness, and other common difficulties associated with aging. Fall injuries have long-term impact on seniors’ health, worsening current health conditions and even creating new problems such as blood clots in legs, pneumonia and pressure ulcers. The good news is that fall injuries are totally preventable if the following precautionary measures are taken:
- Have a live-in caregiver around to check the house for possible hazards such as overturned rugs, cords or dim lighting.
- If you live in a two-story home and there’s a bedroom downstairs, have your elderly loved one stay in the downstairs bedroom.
- A 24-hour companion care aide should accompany your loved one when bathing or showering, especially if your loved one has difficulty moving and getting up. The caregiver can offer partial assistance by standing by with minimal assistance or give full assistance if the elderly person cannot move at all.
- Install extra guardrails along the hallway and stairways.
- Put non-slip shower mats in the bathtub so your elderly loved one won’t slip and fall in the shower.
You can find high quality and affordable 24 hour companion care with A-1 Home Care. Round-the-clock assistance entails assistance with meal preparation, light housekeeping, laundry, bathing, grooming, personal care and more. As Benjamin Franklin once said, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
About A-1 Home Care
A-1 Home Care is a licensed, bonded and insured home care agency based in Southern California. Since its inception in 1991, we have delivered exceptional senior care and in-home care services to families in LA County. As one of the few state-licensed agencies in California, A-1 Home Care protects your loved ones from predators, scam artists, theft and fraud. Each caregiver who walks through our doors is extensively screened for their criminal background and DMV record clearance. All professional references are verified. Talk to one of our care managers today about an elder care plan that fits your budget!
For affordable senior care, call A-1 Home Care (310) 657-8780 or visit www.lainhomecareservice.com for services in Hollywood, Glendale, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Malibu, Beverly Hills and surrounding cities in LA County.